Friday, February 18, 2011

The Talk

An odd thing happened today. Avery and Kendall played upstairs for an hour today. That's not what was odd, though. Playing upstairs is normal. Playing upstairs without there ever being any tears is what was odd. Usually, at some point, Kendall stands at the top of the stairs crying. The response to the question, "What happened?" is always, "She fell down and hit her head." It never fails. If Avery is guilty and the reason why Kendall is crying, that is always the answer. If she didn't do it, she comforts her sister and replies with, "I didn't do it!"

After the hour of silence, I decided to go check on them. I was nervous what I might find. Would dressers be empty? Would any toys remain on shelves? Would there be chalk drawings on the non-chalkboard walls? Would Kendall have all her clothes on? More importantly, if Kendall did take her clothes off, would her diaper still be on? She is really into taking her clothes off. She's pretty good at it to, especially if there is a zipper. Girlfriend can unzip a zipper like no one's business.

So, I go up there to find them playing quietly in Avery's room. Kendall was busy reading some books and Avery was chillaxing on her bed playing with dolls. Kendall still had her clothes on. Avery had gotten dressed. She had asked if she could pick out her clothes today and if she could wear leggings. That girl and her leggings. Man alive.

I told her she looked cute. A giant smile crosses her face and she says, "Kendall picked out my clothes today. I got two skirts, two shirts, two pairs of leggings, and two pairs of socks. Then I laid them on the floor and Kendall handed me what I should wear!"

She did good. It all matched. She looks pretty darn cute. Then I look down an notice that, along with a black shirt and grey leggings, sweetheart's wearing brown socks. I guess it's time we had "the talk." I can't be having her walk around wearing black and brown at the same time. I allow stripes and polka dots to be worn at the same time at this age. Ballerina leotards and tutus can be worn in public. But, I will not stand for black and brown.

1 comment: