Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Soft, Hot Pretzels

I really like soft pretzels. Soft pretzels are made with yeast. I am not good with yeast. We are working on our relationship but we just aren't there yet. Because our relationship if complicated, and I do not want to put in a days work just to be let down. I mean, I would get my hopes all up for a hot, fresh, buttery, doughy pretzel just to fail at the first stage of rising.

As a result, I found the next best thing. They are fast and easy. You can't go wrong with that. Here it goes:

The first thing you need is a roll of Pillsbury Crescent Roll Sheet Dough. I forgot to take a picture but this is what the package looks like:


I could not find these sheets anywhere but Piggly Wiggly. I even went to the big city of Beaver Dam and Wal-Mart didn't have them. Juneau's Pig had two slots of them. They must be a big ticket item here.


I put a little flour down and unrolled the sheet. I rolled it out just to make it more square.


Cut it the short way into eight strips. Roll each strip up, crimping the ends and down the middle to seal the seam.
During this step, you could even add some cheese. You know those cheese whips that are super skinny string cheese? Well, I bet those would fit nicely in here and taste amazing!


To make it into a pretzel shape, first make an almost circle.


Next, bring the tops down and twist over itself. You can stop here if you want. Just pinch the ends to seal.


Or you can twist one more time. I'm a little hardcore, so I did that. I wanted to jazz 'em up a bit.


Put them on a greased cookie sheet. Don't mind the beauty of my sheet. It has been around the block a few times. It has been used for things it was not meant to be used for. Poor thing has even been thrown on the grill to make a pizza or two. It's a shame, really. She used to be so pretty.


Brush them all with melted butter. Then sprinkle them with whatever you desire. I used salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. You could stop at salt or you could make them sweet by adding cinnamon sugar. If you do that, make an icing out of powdered sugar and milk to dunk them in. That would be delicious.


Bake them at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. You can stop there. The tops won't be very brown though. I turned the broiler on high and broiled them for about 2 minutes. Do not walk away from the oven during this step. The broiler can broil very fast and will burn the crap out of your pretzels.


I bought Cheese Whiz to dunk our pretzels in because, well, to be honest, it's good. I did not feel like making a homemade cheese sauce, so I didn't. To be honest, you don't need much cheese at all. The pretzels are pretty darn tasty on their own.

Here's it all put together all nice and pretty for you if you want to make them.

Ingredients:

1 can Crescent Roll Dough Sheet
floor, for dusting
1-2 tablespoons melted butter
Salt and other spices to sprinkle

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees

Dust a surface with flour. Roll out the dough sheet to make a nice rectangle. Cut the dough into eight strips.

Roll each strip into a rope and form into a pretzel. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with salt and anything else you would like to season them with.

Bake 8-10 minutes. Broil an additional minute or two. Best enjoyed warm!

I know homemade pretzels would be better tasting and better for you, but sometimes I am not above making something that is fast and easy. These are definitely both fast and easy. They are also pretty darn tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment