Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Handprint and Footprint Canvas


Here is what you need: one canvas per kid, a paint color for each kid, and paintbrushes. I got my canvases at Hobby Lobby and I only go there when their canvases are on sale. Usually, the are 50% off. So, these two came in a pack together. Originally they were $8 but since they were half off, it was only $4 for the pack. I know, I am a math GENIUS. I have bought canvases at Wal-Mart because they are cheap as well, but the canvas isn't wrapped all the way around the frame, so the staples are visible on all sides. I don't think it is that big of deal, but to each his own.


I let the girls pick out the colors they wanted their canvas to be. Avery obviously picked hot pink and I placed three colors in front of Kendall and she picked this bright purple. It looks blue here but trust me, it is purple. I painted these while the girls were napping. Sometimes I do use nap time wisely. Most of the time I do not. I had to put two coats on the purple. It was a little too streaky. Sometimes I like streaky. Most of the time I do not.


When your subjects are available, you paint a paw with white paint. Kendall did not, I repeat did NOT like getting white paint on her hand. Every other time I have ever painted her feet or hands, she was too little to do anything about it. Muah ha ha! But now, she is strong. She fought for a minute. I dominated. Don't worry. She didn't put up much of a fight when I did her foot. She giggled, a lot.

Note: Kendall has a thumb. This will be pertinent information in a second.


So, this is how Kendall's turned out. She somehow lost a thumb. You saw the photographic proof that one does exist though. She also lost her last two toes. I did not give you proof of that, though. I though it might be dangerous to try to pick up the camera and take a picture of the painted foot of a one and half year old. It might have been messy and someone probably would have gotten hurt, and it would not have been her.


Here's Avery's canvas. It was her idea to do the opposite of Kendall's canvas. She has greater skillz and patience when it comes to stamping painted feet and hands on a canvas. She informed me that the paint was "freezing" cold and that is probably why Kendall didn't like it.


I busted out my paintbrushes and painted their names. They aren't perfect but I dig 'em.


Now we will always remember how itty bitty their feet and hands were at this moment in time. We usually use our hands and feet to make pictures, but we don't have just a hand and foot of either girl. When Kendall was only four months old, I made a Christmas tree with her feet. She didn't like getting paint on the bottom of her feet, but there really wasn't much she could do about it, was there?! Then, last spring, we made butterflies using their feet. This past Christmas, I made angel's with Kendall's hands. Avery made penguins and snowmen with her finger and thumbprints. This time was fun to do something a little more simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment