Thursday, February 10, 2011

Paranormal Piano Activity

In true Dr. Doofenshmirtz fashion, I need to give some backstory for you to truly appreciate and understand what happened to me last night. If you don't know who Dr. Doofenshmirtz is, you have obviously never watched the most awesomest of kid's cartoons ever: Phineas and Ferb. You must. Where's Perry?

Anyway. Backstory #1

Kendall sleeps in bed with us. That is too long of a story that no one wants to listen to that goes all the way back to days of yore. Well, really only back until a newborn baby decided to have tummy issues that resulted in lack of sleep for the Mommy and Daddy. Fast forward to present day, and we get a cute toddler in our bed about half way through the night. This would be totally fine if it weren't for a few things. One, we only have a double bed. That is small for one adult, let alone two adults, one of whom who is as big as Eric, and Kendall. Secondly, Kendall is a bed hog. For such a small person she sure needs a lot of bed. As a result of our conundrum, one of us might sleep on the couch to get a good night's sleep if it's been awhile. At least she sleeps good, right?

P.S. I am neither condoning the act of co-sleeping nor am I criticizing it. It was what we needed to do in our situation. I am hopeful that one day, hopefully before she is twelve, Kendall will in fact sleep in her own bed all night long. Thank you and the end.

Backstory #2

This July, we had the honor and pleasure of having my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew stay at our house for five glorious days. On one of those nights, Eric was wise to go to bed while Craig, Cerra, and I decided it would be a flipping genius idea to watch the last half of an hour of Paranormal Activity. I despise scary movies. I haven't watched one since I thought The Blair Witch Project was real. Watching this thirty minutes of television may have been the worst decision I have ever made in my entire life. Seven months have passed and the sights I saw still haunt me, daily.

So anyway, we watch this and I am scared out of my mind. I go to bed only to wake up minutes later with my feet uncovered. I kept my eyes closed and kept thinking, "please let my blankets still be on me, please, please, please." Thank goodness they were. Well, Kendall ended up waking up at about 3:00 so I went downstairs and Eric took on Daddy duty. I got myself all tucked in on the couch after making sure my back was to the back of the couch, so nothing could sneak up on me. I was spooked and had to keep talking myself down from a heart attack.

Fast forward to the morning. My dear old brother comes downstairs to find out that I was the one sleeping on the couch. He had come down just minutes after I did and if he had known it who it was on the couch, he would have laid on the floor up against the couch and pulled the blankets off, you know, just to give me a heart attack. What love.

Now, anytime I sleep with a pillow on my head (which I do often) I think, "This would be the perfect opportunity for a ghost to off me." I am fearful of the dark.

Now that you know why I was sleeping on the couch and why I would be spooked of anything that might go bump in the night, I can proceed with what happened to me last night. It was traumatic.

As I am deep in slumber last night, I am awoken by what sounds like a piano playing. Not like, an entire song, but a few chords. The first thing I did was check my phone. Maybe it was making a new sound I had never heard before. Nope.

I fell back asleep. A few minutes later, I hear it again. I swore it was coming from the table behind me and I thought it might be an alarm clock. I was trying to hit the snooze. The sound stopped, so I went back to sleep. Hey, I was sound asleep. Like you never did anything irrational when you were asleep.

Then it happened for a third time. This time it actually woke me up because instead of just two chords, it kept playing. I was FREAKED out! I thought the noise was coming through the baby monitor that was on the table next to me which would be really freaky because Kendall was not in her bed at that point, so how would her crib piano be on!?!?! The music stopped. I pulled the blanket as tight around me as I could. This was it. We had a ghost and it was messing with me. Awesome. I would never be able to sleep here ever again. And if you have ever watched a scary movie, this is just the beginning. First the "friendly" ghost messes with the people and then starts to turn evil. This was not going to turn out good for anyone. Then the music started again and I made the totally rational decision to investigate. I followed the noise over to the toys. A small toy piano we have was the culprit. It was just sitting in a basket, playing music for no reason. I turned it off, bolted back to the couch, and just hoped and hoped and hoped it didn't start playing again. I told myself it had to be dying batteries. It had to be. IT HAD TO BE! Since it did not start playing again, I am going to continue to belief this theory.

There is not and will not be a ghostly spirit in my house. Unless it's a nice one that will help pick things up and do some cleaning. I mean, ghost or not, if you are going to live in my house, you need to earn your keep. I also would insist that the middle of the night antics cease immediately. Girlfriend needs her beauty sleep.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes! Only a mommy with toys that go by themselves would start laughing hysterically the moment you started writing about the experience. JD got 3 remote controlled cars for christmas - if we do not turn them off every night they start going by themselve, plus each remote works two different cars.

    ReplyDelete