Thursday, March 17, 2011

Strawberry Peach Fruit Roll-ups


See this girl? Well, this girl really likes fruit snacks. A lot. We might have to enter her into a program. Do they have a Fruit Snacks Anonymous? "Hi. My name is Kendall and I'm a fruit snack-aholic."

I decided to try making our own fruit snacks. They turned into fruit roll-ups instead. But they were good. I say were because Kendall ate half of them as I cutting them. The rest followed within a few days. Their fate was sealed from the very beginning. Kendall was eating the ingredients faster than I could cut them up.


She particularly enjoyed the strawberries. I was cutting, she was eating.

I decided to make a half of a batch before I made too big of a commitment. I didn't know how they were going to turn out. And it is March. Fresh fruit isn't really at it's cheapest, or tastiest. Speaking of which, my grocery store did not have any fresh peaches. Instead, I bought the Dole peaches in the glass jar in the produce section that are in pear juice. It was the next best thing in my rinky dink grocery store.


So here's how it goes. Remember, I am halving the recipe but will give the full recipe at the end. Don't forget. There will be a quiz.

This bowl contains peaches and strawberries. The recipe calls just for fresh peaches. Since I didn't have fresh and was using my jar of peaches, I guesstimated that the 16 slices of peaches would be roughly 2 whole peaches. The full recipe asks for 6 whole peaches. So I was one short. To compensate for that, I added one cup of strawberries. That would give me the 3 cups (approximately) of my fruit. Alright. Moving on.

Add honey and strawberry jelly to your fruit. Make sure you pick a good jelly. The whole point of making homemade anything is to make it better than what you can buy in the store, right? So, you want to add as much good stuff and leave out all the bad stuff the store bought version has.

We now will return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Here it all is in a the bowl. It smelled good. Also, add some water. Then stir it all up.


If you have a little strawberry eating helper, they can take over the reigns at this point and do a little work. Hey, no one just gets strawberries for nothing around here.


Put your fruit mixture into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. I had to do a couple batches since my food processor is small and my blender just didn't seem to be making it puree-y enough.

It vibrates. She thought that was funny.


Pour your puree onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake on the lowest setting your oven will go for 8-10 hours. My oven's lowest setting is 170 degrees. Perfect for drying out fruit and raising dough.


You will know your fruit is dry enough if it isn't wet. Does that make sense? I just mean, when you touch it, it should be sticky not stick to your finger.

Remove the sheet of fruit to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into strips, and roll. Or, as in our case, eat half of them before you can do that.

The fruit used in this recipe could be changed according to what you have laying around. You could use raspberries or blueberries in place of the strawberries. I don't know if I would remove the peaches totally though. I think they need to be the base of the roll-ups, mostly because of their moisture content and structure. Apples might work, but you might have to tweak the other ingredients. The good thing is, it is really easy to half or even quarter the recipe to test out different combinations.

These were ridiculously delicious. Even though they do take so long to bake, I highly recommend making them. I seized the opportunity and rose some dough since my oven was on anyway. It was a win-win.

Oh, I almost forgot, they smell amazing. For that 8 hours, it was like I was burning a strawberry-peach candle. Scrumptious I tell ya.

Here's how to do it, if you want to do it:

Strawberry Peach Fruit Roll-ups

Original recipe:

6 whole peaches
1/4 cups honey
1/4 cups strawberry jam
3 tablespoons water

My altered recipe:  (the test run I did above was halved, this is for a full batch)

4 whole peaches
2 cups strawberries
1/4 cups honey
1/4 cups strawberry jam
3 tablespoons water

Heat your oven to it's lowest setting. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Skin the peaches, dice, and set aside.
Dice the strawberries. Add to the peaches.

Add honey, jam, and water. Stir. Mix in a food processor or blender until you have a smooth puree.

Pour on the prepared sheet and smooth out with a spatula.

Bake for 8-10 hours.

Slice into strips and roll. Store in a tightly sealed bag.


I can not for the life of me remember where I got this recipe from. I have had it written on a card and stored away for ages and ages. 



1 comment:

  1. Someone needs to buy you a bigger food processor woman!

    ReplyDelete