Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for APPLESAUCE!

My kids are starting to scare me. They are eating food and a lot of it. Now, I have always kept fruits and vegetables in the house in hopes they would eat them, but usually I end up eating them all or having to toss them out once they got a little past the point of good. But now, now they eat them.

We have gone through bags of carrots. BAGS I tell you. Strawberries last a day. Oranges have no chance. But the crowd favorite has been apples. A three pound bag lasts three days. Avery eats them like candy. Kendall tries to use her little baby teefers to break through the apple, but she just doesn't have the strength yet.

With all these apples floating around, I thought to myself that making applesauce might be a fun new endeavour. I have never made homemade applesauce before, but figured it couldn't be too hard. I found a few recipes and tweaked them and adjusted them to come up with this concoction.


I started with the apples that wouldn't fit into our fruit basket. It ended up being seven apples. One of those apples was sacrificed though.


Kendall just wanted to make sure the apples were good before we went through the work of making the sauce. Avery was at school. I planned it so the applesauce was going to get done as she was coming home. Warm cinnamon applesauce after a tough day of 4K sounds like a great way to unwind to me.


Cut up your apples and put them in a saucepan.


Add some water, a little sugar, and the star of the show, cinnamon. Mix it all up. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the apples are nice and smooshy. Is smooshy a word? Well, that is what your apples will be like. Smooshy.


This is what the apples looked like about ten minutes into becoming saucy.


This was after 25 minutes. My apples were smooshy here. They really reduce down, those lovely chunks of appley goodness.


Put your mixture into a food processor or blender and turn those smooshy apples into a cinnamony sauce.


I poured mine into a mason jar that I had just floating around.


This was Kendall waiting patiently for her sauce sample to cool down.


Little Miss Independent must feed herself now. Even if her food is on a big people spoon that is not so easy to maneuver. Practice, practice little lady.


She really liked it. She dove in for more.


And more. She stood on that chair and ate spoonful after spoonful until I had to take her down to go get her sister.

When we got home, Avery ate a bowlful. That tall mason jar full of applesauce is now more than half gone, a mere 24 hours later. I think it might be finished off today. I don't know how long it can sit in the fridge, covered tightly, but I would guess probably about a week. I don't think you really need to worry about that though. It will be gone faster than that.

The recipe I made was only half of my original recipe. I wanted to do a test run before I went all out and made a full batch. I would hate to waste all of those apples if it turned out bad or my kids didn't like it. I will also half it for you in case you only want one jar full at a time.

Cinnamon Applesauce

Full Recipe

8 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar

(The cinnamon is optional. The sauce will be just as good without it. Also, you can adjust the amount of sugar according to your tastes.)

Half Recipe

4 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples
3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8-1/4 cups sugar

Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Mix. Bring to a boil.

Reduce your heat to medium and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Pour the apple mixture into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.

Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment