Saturday, March 5, 2011

Behavior Calendar Update #2 and Bathroom Chart

 Today, we are taking a walk down memory lane. First, we remembered Valentine's Day flowers and now we are going to remember another bit of awesomeness. You are thrilled, I know. It's exciting stuff!


Remember this calendar?  We were using it as a means to get Avery to help around the house or to have good listening ears. Just like all of the other charts we have had in our house, and we have had many, we don't use them for very long. Not because we forget or lose interest, it's because the actions become second nature or the behavior alters to a positive one.

We had a chore chart. We put stickers on it for a week and then randomly here and there. The chores just became part of her routine.

The behavior calendar lasted 16 days. Now, she does what she is asked. I mean, she is not 100% perfect, no kid is, but her behavior has changed dramatically.


See? Sixteen days. We need to find something else to do with the 10 months left on that Princess calendar.

Now we find ourselves facing another debacle. At 4 1/2 years old and potty trained for two years, Avery has begun to "forget" her bathroom routine. OK, OK. You are probably saying that this is way too much information, right? Well, I don't think I am the only one who has had a little one who has decided that it is more fun to rush out of the bathroom as quick as possible to get back to playing/coloring/running/torturing siblings and forgot a few steps in the loo.  So, if this helps the power struggle of one mom or dad that occurs every single time the kid goes to the bathroom, then I am glad I shared our little problem.

Since Avery has always responded very well to sticker charts, I decided to take that route once again. This is what I came up with. Note: I am not a very good artist. I mean, I try my best and Avery will get the drift, but they are not Picasso's.


First, I drew two separate boxes to house the stickers. I kept them pretty simple as to not take away from the task at hand. No pun intended.


I cut the sheet in half and hung them in the bathroom. Here's the toilet paper reminder.


Here's the hand washing reminder.

I put a little sheet of stickers on a shelf in the bathroom. I hope that this will solve our little problem as quick as our other charts have worked.

Hopefully this will help someone else come up with a reward system for a situation they may be having in their house.  I will keep you posted on how it works for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment