Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Framed Chalkboard

Remember how we made a dry erase board the other day with fabric, inside of a frame? Think hard. It was just a few days ago. Well, in case you forgot, this is what it looked like:


So, I got to thinking. Sometimes that can be dangerous, but in this case, it was brilliance. Well, maybe not brilliance, but it was a good idea. I thought, something needs to go on the other side of this giant wall in my kitchen. It was all feeling a little off balance. So what about a chalkboard? A chalkboard? Yes, a chalkboard. Here is a list of reasons why a chalkboard in the kitchen is a good idea:

1. Avery has a chalkboard painted on a wall in her room. Kendall loves it. Kendall is banned from the steps. This means no chalkboard. Chalkboard in kitchen equals happy Kendall.

2. Kendall thinks that dry erase markers look good on her face and clothes. Chalk cleans up a lot easier.

3.  Chalkboard paint comes in spray paint form. I know! I was amazed too! I got mine at Menard's for $3.50.

4. Between a chalkboard and dry erase board, I feel enough diversions have been created to result in optimal dinner cooking conditions.

Wanna do it too? Well, you can. All you have to do is get a inexpensive poster frame. I used the same one that I bought to make the dry erase board. Then they were all matchy matchy. You need chalkboard spray paint. This was not sold at my local Wally World. And be cautious when purchasing your paint. I saw it at Hobby Lobby and they wanted $8+ for it. And chalk. You will need chalk. I bought sidewalk chalk because it is bigger and tougher. My Wal-Mart had Crayola big packs of sidewalk chalk on sale. Score!


You will also need a helper. My helper was in charge of watching the first step and photographing the second step. She was really excited to use my camera.


Lay your plastic sheet from your frame on some cardboard. Lick the tip of a finger. Stick it in the air. Determine the wind direction. Stand upwind and spray. I bet you knew that though.


Avery took this picture. It's pretty darn good. I went back and forth over the sheet two or three times to make sure it was evenly coated. Let it dry.


After it dries, put it in the frame. It looks streaky in the picture, but in real life, it was not. How bizarre. How bizarre. How bizarre. Sorry.


Give your chalkboard a home. Look at it. It looks wet. It was not. It looks streaky, but it's not. Hmmm. Oh well. Give your kiddos some chalk and let them go.


If you don't mind chalk dust, a kitchen chalkboard is pretty amazing.

Let's break it down:

Frame: $12
Paint: $3.50
Chalk: $4

Total: priceless...no, really, it is less than $20.

There you go. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment