Thursday, March 17, 2011

Is There a Pot 'o Gold at the End of That Rainbow?


Those are five squeeze bottles for pancakes. Yes, I have five now. Two just wasn't cuttin' it. Not if you are at Wal-Mart the day before St. Patrick's Day and know that two bottles will not be enough to make rainbow pancakes.

Pancakes? On St. Patrick's Day? Why, yes. I am not Irish. I am German. I throw on some lederhosen, eat brats, and drink non-green beer. That's not true. I have never worn lederhosen, but I have and do eat brats and I do like beer.

Anywho. Since I am not about to make corned beer and cabbage or drink Irish car bombs, rainbow pancakes sounded like the right route to take. Mostly because leprechauns were too tricky to make.

I died my pancake batter with food coloring. Again, you heard me correctly. I have been known to do something this crazy before. I made this cake for the girls' birthday party last year:


That's the outside. The fun happened on the inside.


There it is. A rainbow cake. It was awesome. It took a really long time to make and it was wobbly.

So, today, on this fine St. Patrick's Day, I said to myself, "Self, it has been about 7 months since you have put ample amounts of food coloring into food to be consumed by my small children. Why not change that and make rainbow pancakes?"  I can't really ignore myself. So that is exactly what I did. The pancakes took a lot less food coloring than the cake, though.

And, just to clarify. I did make plain, white cake cupcakes for the girl's to eat. No food colored cake was eaten by my itty bitty one year old. And Avery only ate a spatula of the frosting. The guests, on the other hand, ate the crap out of that cake.

Here's a few more pictures from that warm summer day approximately 7 months ago:


This is what happens when a four-year-old is left unattended with a spatula full of cake frosting. I think she got more on her face than in her mouth.


See, Kendall's cupcake was white, with white frosting. I did take a walk on the wild side, though, and put sprinkles on it.

I digress.


Back to the pancakes. Here they are. Cute little rainbows.


My kids may not have eaten the crap outta that cake, but they ate the crap outta these pancakes.


With the rest of the batter, I made rainbow circles until all of my squeeze bottles puttered out.

It may not have been a traditional St. Patrick's Day menu, but I don't think I could get Avery to eat pork hocks. I wouldn't have objected to the green beer though.

No comments:

Post a Comment