Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Got Books?

I have been a reading fool with my new Kindle. Eric claims I am neglecting my family. Don't believe him, though. I may not be utilizing my free time in the most productive ways, but neglect is not happening. I mean, I have taught Koda how to pour milk and now allow Avery to use knives. They are fully covered. I kid, I kid. Avery pours the milk and Koda uses the knives. He is older so I assumed he was more responsible.

I have read a few free books that were alright and also a few Kindle Singles. In the past week, I finished two other books as well. If you are looking for a good book, either of these would be great choices.

The first was called Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo. It is a narrative about a young boy who, while extremely ill in the hospital, experienced and witnessed events that he later revealed to his parents, much to their disbelief. It is not a book about religion, instead a book about the ability to accept and believe in things that can not be seen. And that we need to give more credit to what small children say and think.

 
 
I also read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This is a novel based on the character Jacob Jankowski and his life before, during, and after joining a circus in the 1930s. Nothing that I can say about this book will do it justice. It is an amazing story told by an amazing storyteller. You must find this book and read it, immediately. I have ready countless books in my life, being an English major and all, and this book has found a cozy little spot in my top five pieces of literature of all time.
 
Water for Elephants: A Novel
 
This book was also turned into a movie.
Outside of Harry Potter movies, I am not usually one who likes to see the movie of a book I read. This started with my very first book to movie experience when I was still in high school. I read The Rainmaker  by John Grisham and then watched the movie with Matt Damon. I was so disappointed that they were so different. I was naive to the fact that they would be the same. But, a part of me wants to see this movie just to compare what I visualized while reading the book and what the movie looks like. Just watching the trailer, I see many discrepancies. I might be able to get past them though because Robert Pattinson is a little dreamy as Jacob.  Here is the trailer if you want to watch it:
 
 

1 comment:

  1. In regards to Water for Elephants, I have put that on hold at the library and am super excited to read it, thanks to you. I will keep you posted on that.

    But from what you said and what I've read about the book, it makes me think of a book my mother gave to me to read, Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show. If you haven't read it already, give it a shot. I highly doubt it's as good as you say WFE is, but it was alright. It's about a young boy whose father leaves the family to join a traveling circus in Ireland in the nineteenth century. It's kind of hard to get into, but definitely worth it.

    I also just read a book called "I'd know you anywhere" by Laura Lippman...it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete