Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rajun Cajun Onion Rings and Beer Battered Shrooms

We continue to be a foster family to a deep fryer. It just sits on my counter, taunting me, whispering, "You know you want to make deep fried goodness in me. Do it. If you make it, they will come." So, I did. I made deep fried goodness. And let me tell you, it was good. I had a little help from Guy Fieri and his Rajun Cajun Onion Rings. Here's what he says to do:


Mix together some sour cream, milk, and hot pepper sauce in a bowl. Whisk it good. Get all of the sour cream lumps out. Oh, and for the hot sauce, I used Frank's Red Hot Sauce.


Cut up some onions into rings. I used 2 giant sweet onions. Then you put them into the hot sauce bath. Mix them around. Get down and dirty. Use your hands. Make sure every part of every onion ring is covered in sauce. Set that aside.


In a pie plate, mix together flour and a whole slew of spices and seasonings. There are quite a few. You can see them in the recipe.

I also made a beer batter for some white button mushrooms. Bobby Flay told me to use equal parts beer and flour. I added some salt and pepper. I really like Bobby Flay. I might have a little crush.


Here's the set up. Seasoned flour and saucy onions. Beer batter and button mushrooms.

To make the onion rings, remove a ring from the saucy bath and dunk into the flour mixture. You can repeat the process again if you would like.

To make the mushrooms, dunk a shroom into the beer batter.

Fry them at about 350 degrees until browned.

Drain on a towel and season them with salt.


Now, tell me that doesn't make your mouth water.

Here is how Guy "Wears my glasses on the back of my head" Fieri makes his onion rings:

Guy's Rajun Cajun Onion Rings

1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)
2 large onions, cut into rings

1 teaspoon each of:
celery salt
onion powder
garlic powder
mustard powder
paprika
chili powder
pepper
salt
2 cups flour

(I did not use mustard powder because I didn't have any. I also omitted paprika but I did add cayenne pepper instead)

Whisk together all of the wet ingredients. Bathe the onions in the saucy goodness. Set aside.

Season the flour.

Heat your oil to 350 degrees.

Remove your onions from the saucy bath and dredge in the flour. You may repeat the process if you would like.

Fry until golden brown.

Drain on paper towel and season with salt.


1 comment: