Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches and Grilled Nutella and Jelly Sandwiches

I love cooking shows. I frequent the Cooking Channel and Food Network. I have passed this love for cooking shows onto Avery. She is more glued to the boob tube when Rachael Ray is on than when a kid show is on. She ponders, "I wonder what she is making today?" She inquires, "What is that kind of food?" She discovers, "Mom, that's like what we use!" It makes me proud. Her favorite is Jamie Oliver. She likes his voice. She also likes that his kids come on his show a lot. Plus, he cooks outside, which is super cool. Maybe it's because I kind of like Jamie Oliver. He is a little dreamy.

Anyway. Last night, we had spaghetti for dinner and they both ate and ate and ate. I decided to make the girls a special snack. We whipped together a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a grilled Nutella and jelly sandwich. They. were. amazing.

While I was making them, Avery stood on chair next to me and narrated the entire process, like we were on our own cooking show taking place in our very own kitchen.


Avery: "So we need peanut butter and jelly and chocolate stuff and jelly. And bread. And butter."

Me: "Yes ma'am."


Avery: "You are putting strawberry jelly with the peanut butter, right?
And raspberry jelly with the chocolate stuff?"

Me: "Yes we are. Doesn't that sound good?"

Avery: "YES! Why are you putting the butter on the griddle?"

Me: "Well, yes, because it's a little hard to put stuff on both sides of the bread. So, I will put the peanut butter and jelly on the slices, put the slices together, and then put the sandwich on the butter. Then, they will get nice and toasted."

Avery: "That's a good idea, Mom."

So, that's what we did. I melted some butter on one side of the griddle. I loaded the bread with the peanut butter, Nutella, and jellies. While one side was toasting, I melted some more butter on the other side of the griddle, and flipped the sandwiches over to toast the other side.  Pretty simple.


Avery: "You are using the butterfly cookie cutter to take off the crust because I do not like the crust. Yuck."

This was the Nutella and raspberry jelly.


Here's the peanut butter and strawberry jelly.

Time to eat!


Kendall had a little trouble taking bites. She is not a fan of taking bites. She dominated that sandwich after I tore it up into nice little pieces for her.

When Kendall likes something, she "Mmms" and "Yumms" the entire time she is eating. She was rather vocal while eating the sandwich.


Mmmm.


Just listen...listen really close. You can almost hear her, "Mmmm."

I'd say these sandwiches were a hit.

1 comment:

  1. You need to check out Lucinda Scalla Quinn on Mad Hungry...she's on the Hallmark channel around 10-11 during the week. Don't ask me how I know this, but she's this shit!

    ReplyDelete