Saturday, April 2, 2011

Waffles of the Light and Airy Variety

I swear, I do feed my kids food that doesn't fall under the breakfast umbrella. I promise, I do. But my freezer is finally empty of all pre-made pancakes. Avery requested waffles for breakfast the other day. There are very few days that I wake up stoked to make breakfast, so I like to pre-make waffles, pancakes, and French toast. I'm more of a heat-a-waffle-up-in-the-microwave type of girl most days.
So, one afternoon, I whipped up some batter and went to town making some light, airy, puffy waffles.


You need buttermilk, flour, eggs, canola oil, salt, and baking powder. You don't have to use buttermilk. You can just use regular milk if you want. If you want to use buttermilk but don't have any sitting around, you can make your own. Did you know that? Want to know how? OK. I will tell you. All you have to do is mix milk with an acid. That acid could be vinegar or lemon juice.

Mix one cup of milk with one tablespoon of acid. Let it sit for about ten minutes.

That's it. That's the secret.


For this, I requested a helper.


I also got an audience. See those plastic things in the soapy water? Well, they are water bottles for the girls but they have a giant sticker on the bottom that I can't get off. So I soaked them. It didn't work. But Kendall was pretty excited to see some bubbly water waiting for her. I let her do a little splashing.


For the waffles, separate the eggs. Put the whites in a bowl and beat them on medium until stiff. 


Check on your splashing audience. Make sure the water isn't getting out of control. We were still good at this point.


Here are the beaten egg whites.


Put everything else in a different bowl, including the yolks from the separated eggs.

Mix it up and beat until combined.


Fold in the egg whites. Be gentle.


Let the batter sit while your waffle maker is heating up.


I used a quarter cup as my scoop. That made 16 waffles.

You can make a huge batch of these waffles and freeze small amounts. They are the perfect easy breakfast. You can microwave them or pop them in the toaster if you like your waffles crispy.


Waffles

Ingredients

2 whole Eggs (separated)
2 cups Milk Or Buttermilk
2 cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Salt
⅓ cups Canola Oil

Beat egg whites until stiff. In a separate large bowl, put remaining ingredients and beat on low with a hand mixer until moistened. Increase speed to medium and mix until smooth. By hand, gently fold in beaten egg whites. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron. Cook until lightly browned.

Recipe courtesy of http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/.

If you haven't checked out that website yet, I strongly suggest it. It is the best resource for all things yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment