Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Potato Salad

Remember before Rachael Ray had a talk show, a magazine, pots, pans, dog food, and more than one cooking show? I sure do. When we first got the Food Network out here in the boonies, I was hooked. Her 30 Minute Meal show was the bomb. I started watching cooking shows when I was little with my Dad on PBS and I loved them, but Rachael Ray was making food that I would actually eat.

This potato salad is her recipe. It was one of the first recipes I actually made when I got all growed up and started cooking. It is simple. It is tasty. It doesn't have mayo. It is, well, da bomb.com.

We have eaten it with steaks, like a traditional baked potato would be consumed. We have eaten this salad with brats. We have eaten it with baby back ribs. It is very versatile.

So this is all you have to do:


First you need to bake some taters. The size of your potatoes will determine how many you need. I made four but only needed three since they were big. So if your potatoes are large, use three. If they are medium, use four. Bake those puppies up and cool 'em off. Peel them and cut them into pieces.


Cube some bacon.


Fry the bacon up until it's nice and brown and crispy. Drain it on some paper towel and cool.

 

Chop up some scallions, if you like that sort of thing. If I am making this for people other than just my fam, I tend to keep them out and serve them on the side. A lot of folks don't dig the oniony goodness. I don't get it or understand but I respect it.


There's that bacon. Don't eat it all before you put it in your salad.


In a small bowl, mix together some sour cream, melted butter, salt, and lots 'o pepper.

There isn't a picture of it, but this salad, that is already amazing, also contains some shredded cheese.


Steamy potatoes all ready to mingle.


Stir all the ingredients into the potatoes. They are all happy and mingling now. Serve it immediately. It is best served warmish or at room temperature, at least. So, if you must refrigerate, remove the salad about 30 minutes before you want to eat it to bring it to room temperature.

Wasn't that super-de-duper simple?

Try this in the summer with your grilled goodness for something a little different.

Loaded Baked Potato Potato Salad

Ingredients

3-4 potatoes, baked
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
4 scallions, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

The Steps to Greatness

1. Clean and stab the potatoes. Drizzle some olive oil over them. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-45 minutes, depending on their size. Cool. Peel. Cube.

2. Fry the bacon. Drain. Set aside.

3. Cut up the scallions.

4. Combine sour cream, butter, salt and pepper in a bowl.

5. Add all the ingredients to the potatoes. Don't forget about the cheese. Toss it all up. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment