Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

It's been a while since I made something with yeast. I am still perfecting the environment best suited to the rising of yeast in my kitchen. I decided to make cinnamon rolls. I have discovered some new tricks for the next yeast-bread experiment, but I will test it first and let you know how it works.


Some milk, oil, and sugar hang out in a pan. Once they are at the perfect temperature, yeast joins the party.


Flour joins the mix and they mingle with each other under a towel for about an hour.


More flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt get involved.


A simple little roll of dough gets rolled out nice and thin and flat.


It gets covered in butter.


Then sugar.


And finally cinnamon.


All of the goodness gets all rolled up, cut into slices, and put into a pan.


After another little rest, they get all baked to a delectable golden brown.


And since I can't leave well enough alone, a sugary glaze is mixed together to be poured over the top.


This is what you get. You get a pan full of warm cinnamon rolls covered in a thick, creamy glaze.

It's quite a process. It takes a long time. If you have little people that need to be entertained, try this:


Put a giant piece of cardboard on the floor, strip the little ones down, and let them go to town with paint.





That's the face of a dog.


A ballerina that paints. We are cultured folk here.


Hey, sweetie, we stay off of the wet paint.



Masterpiece.


I guess she just needed to get closer to the water. Who is this girl's Mother? Doesn't she ever do her hair? Geesh.

Dirty toes are the sign of a good time.

On a side-note, did you know that when you turn 30, things start to hurt? Neither did I. I missed that day in the What to Expect as You Age Class. Two weeks ago I hurt my knee. I have no idea how. It still hurts. It hurts bad. Not to worry though, friend. I got a knee brace thingy today and it works wonders. It makes me walk funny and it not very fashionable, but it makes me knee stop hurting.

I am fallin' apart all over. With the onset of spring comes allergies. I shouldn't complain though, since a certain little person living in my house gets them earlier and a lot worse than I do. But between the knee and the stuffy head, I have been a little slow moving this week.

Enough of the pity party already. I will pull through. Especially when I hear we are going to break 70 here this weekend. I can not wait!

Since I have been slacking in all things motherly, I am just going to send you on your merry way with a link to the cinnamon roll deliciousness I made. Just a note: I did not add maple or coffee to my icing and it worked just fine.

I highly suggest making the entire batch so you have some to freeze. A pan of these only lasted one day, or should I say, night in my house. We may or may not have had them for dinner the night I made them. Getting down on the kitchen floor with the girls to paint was not a wise decision with a bum knee.

So, if you are feeling adventurous and the need for cinnamon, here's how to do it:

No comments:

Post a Comment