Friday, April 8, 2011

Rambo

We have a squirrel. Not like, as a pet, but in our backyard. We have a lot of squirrels but there is one squirrel in particular that causes a lot of problems. For all intensive purposes, let's call him Rambo.

Rambo struck yesterday.

While I was raking, the girls puttered around the yard, sliding when their little hearts desired. During our time outside, they munched on some graham crackers. We decided to go in because some of us needed to use the loo, leaving the remaining grahams behind.

After dinner, we went outside to show Daddy our amazing discovery. We had to search for those little ladybugs. Apparently I disturbed their slumber and they needed to find new dwelling. Anyway. As we are standing by the garden, I am distracted by the strawberry leaves poking out of the rubbish at the other end of the garden.

I start to move in for a closer look, passing under a little tree, still bare of all it's leaves when suddenly, it happens. Something struck my neck! "OUCH!" I exclaim. I look behind me expecting to see a nut of some sort but instead, right there on the ground behind me, is a graham cracker square. Curious.

We ask Avery is she threw it. "No, Mommy, I didn't. I was just sitting here looking at the ladybugs."

Kendall's off on the other side of the yard, and even if she wasn't, girlfriend can't throw a graham that hard and that high.

Koda? Well, unless he finally has developed opposable thumbs, he's not the culprit.

Eric was in front of me, so unless he pulled a master attack, reminiscent of the "spit" episode of Seinfeld, he didn't do it.

A few moments pass, as I continue to rub the back of my neck and admire my strawberry plants peeking out. Eric is pushing the girls on the swing set, we my attacker finally flees the scene of the crime.

Rambo comes darting out of the tree, scampers across the grass, and zips up a pine tree to safety.

We saw you Rambo. We know it was you. It is not nice to throw food. It was also not nice this winter when you would throw nuts at people passing by your tree. We don't want your nuts. We did want the graham, but you could have had it. We do know how to share.
It's also not nice to yell at people if they get to close to your dwelling. We get yelled at enough by Carl the Cardinal when he wants to eat. We do not need two unhappy backyard inhabitants.

So, we ask you, Rambo, to please keep these attacks at bay. We do have weapons to stop you if you choose to become violent. You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment