Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mini Doughnuts

I have the black plague, a severe sinus infection, or allergies. Whatever it is, an illness has consumed me for almost two weeks. I am taking a stand and being done with it. I did absolutely nothing yesterday. Short of getting up to get food for the girls, I was a couch potato. We watched a lot of cooking shows. I read a lot of a book on my Kindle. Oooooh...and it's a good book too. I did some crossword puzzles.

The girls went upstairs to play. After a few minutes, I hear, "MOOOOOM!! YOU NEED TO COME UP HERE!" I sprung to my feet, expecting the worst.

"Is everything OK?!" I inquire as I am zipping up the stairs. Now, yesterday, zipping was not as fast as it should have been. I really only walked at a mildly fast pace, but it seemed like zipping after being sedentary for most of the day.  I knew everything was fine because of the multitude of giggles I could hear.

I got up to Avery's room to this lovely sight:


Kendall is STOKED to be up on Avery's bed. And she is rather giddy to be cuddling with her sister.

Then we all cuddled in that little twin bed for a while.


They are camping. On Little Bill, Bill pretended to go camping in his backyard and used an umbrella as a tent. Clever little fella. Being a sponge, Avery did the same thing yesterday. It was cute. She laid there and watched Giada prepare some delicous Italian goodness.


Kendall decided the most efficient way to feed the dog is to hand feed him one piece at a time. She loved it. Her hands were slimy.

While this little event was occurring, another fantastical event was happening just feet away. It's not a shocking incident, because I caught me a good one who does help out around the house and such, but Eric made dinner and did the dishes so I could be a sloth. Isn't that nice? I thought it was nice. I was also glad it wasn't me, because I didn't feel like loading the dishwasher on Sunday night. And there were a lot of dishes from the day. We had had brats for lunch, ham and all the fixin's for dinner, and I made cream of asparagus soup. That may have played a role in my not feeling well Sunday night and Monday morning. I ate and ate and ate...and ate on Sunday.


This is my new mini doughnut pan. It is cute. You can get it on the Internets here:

I got mine at a kitchen supply store and it was only $8 so look around if you want one. I highly suggest it. I think there are a gazillion things to do with it. I plan on trying all of the ideas I have for it and I will pass on how well they work.


I tried the recipe on the package. It was for a simple cake doughnut. I used their recipe for the glaze as well. Don't they look good?


She thought they were!

I am thinking that you could totally make these doughnuts without having a doughnut pan. You will need a squeezie bottle though. You could just pipe some batter on a baking sheet, possibly small circles or strips. They just wouldn't have holes in the middle. Try it. Let me know how it works.

Baked Mini Cake Doughnuts
Recipe courtesy of Wilton

1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Add buttermilk, egg, and butter and stir until just combined. Fill each doughnut cup 1/2 full.

Bake 4-6 minutes or until the top springs back. Let cook 4-5 minutes in the pan.

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a small bowl, stir together until the sugar is completely dissolved. Dunk doughnuts in and add sprinkles.


!!!!!!!!!!!A FEW NOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. I was given a few tidbits of info about mini doughnut pan usage. One is to make sure you spray the H.E. double hockey sticks outta the pan.

2. You will need a squeezie bottle to get the batter into the pan successfully. I discovered that you will need to add some extra milk to the batter to thin it out enough to be able to squeeze it out of the bottle. I ended up adding approximately two extra tablespoons of regular milk to the batter.

3. I did not use nutmeg. I used cinnamon instead. We have nutmeg, but I could not find it. So I just sprinkled in some cinnamon and it did the trick. You need to add something or the doughnuts will be blaaaaaaaah.

4. I do not own a sifting device. Instead, just use a whisk to incorporate all the dry ingredients together. You probably already know that trick, but I thought I'd share it just in case you didn't. A whisk does a fine job of getting all the lumps out. I mean, I wouldn't use this trick if you were making an angel food cake, but it will work here.

5. Keep the milk out while making the glaze. I do not think one tablespoon was enough. I had to add a few more splashes. And remember, just add a splash at a time. If you end up adding too much milk, just add a small amount more of powdered sugar until you get to the right consistency. You want your glaze to just thin enough to dunk your doughnuts in and have the glaze stick to cover.

But anyway. Sorry the notes were longer than the instructions to make the stinkin' doughnuts! But for a first run, they turned out darn good. My head is spinning with the possibilities of goodness I can make with this pan. Chocolate doughnuts? Sure, let's figure that out. Doughnut shaped mini brownies? Ummm, yes please. Baked mini pancakes shaped like doughnuts? HOLLA! Geesh. 

Alright. I must go sweep my kitchen floor. The sun is peeking in and showcasing the large amounts of dog hair strewn about. One day without sweeping and it looks like I haven't done anything in weeks, months even. I bet I will be able to make a whole 'nother dog with the amount of hair I will sweep up.




No comments:

Post a Comment