Monday, April 18, 2011

Dorothy Pillowcase Dress


I made Avery this dress. We were going to see a stage production of The Wizard of Oz. I thought she needed some special to wear to her first play. Once I told her this, she was on board. I came across this on etsy.com:

Wizard of oz Dorothy inspired pillowcase dress.... sizes 3-6 months to 4T


and I thought to myself, "Self, I can make that." So I got the supplies. I started and failed. So I started again. And after a few screw-ups and sewing machine malfunctions, I finished. It looks cute from afar but there were some technical problems.

First, it was too long. So, girlfriend couldn't walk so easy or bend her knees while sitting. Oops.

Second, the rick-racks didn't match totally on one side...they were only about 1/4" off so it was OK.

Thirdly, I screwed up a tad on the back but that wasn't so noticeable.

It wasn't perfect, but it was perfect to Avery. She LOVED it. She wore it with pride and confidence. She was a cool chick. To her, I was a sewing Goddess.


Kendall wanted in on the action. Look at Avery's smile. Geesh. She is STOKED! I don't know what she is more excited about: the dress, the tights (gf loves her some tights), her ruby red slippers, her piggy tails with red ribbon ties, or actually going to see the play. Maybe it was a giant rubber band ball of excitement. Excitement piled on top of excitement.


"Look at my cool stripped socks!"


What. A. Cutie.


Pretty girl. She had a blast at the play. The actors/actresses were predominately little kids. It was cool.

I'd tell you how I made the dress, but I really don't know. I just kinda, wung it. Is that how you spell that? Wung? Winged it? Well, you know what I mean. I was winging it and then I finished, so I wung it.

Anyway. A typical pillowcase dress is easy to make, or so I am told. If you want to learn to make one, check out this link:


I will say, though, making a dress from beginning to end for the very first time is a very accomplishing task. I have ventured on to another super easy sewing project that I will make sure to share.

Well, I am off to follow the yellow brick road to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment