Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Brunch

Happy Day After Mother's Day! It was a glorious weekend here. Spring has finally arrived. Flowers are starting to bloom, seeds are sprouting in the garden, and the sand box was uncovered. We had brunch on Mother's Day morning at our house. This was a perfect time to bust out my mini doughnut pan. So, Saturday afternoon, I started the tedious task of making three different flavors of doughnuts. My plan was to make a strawberry cake doughnut with vanilla glaze, chocolate cake doughnuts with vanilla glaze, chocolate cake doughnuts with mocha frosting, and white cake doughnuts with caramel frosting and chopped pecans. This seemed to be a daunting task so I took a little help from my friends. And by friends, I mean this guy:


Not only was this economical at $1.00 a box, but also a huge time saver. The thing with the doughnut pan is you can only make 12 at a time, since that's how many holes there are. I am smart, aren't I? At least my college education taught me something. Along with the limited number, they take 5 minutes to cook and 5 minutes cooling in the pan. So, there is a lot of waiting. But I was dedicated.


I got all my supplies together. For this process, I was glad I had 5 squeezie bottles from pancake making. That also saved time. I didn't have to wash the bottle out in between flavors.


Hello strawberry batter. Well, I made about three dozen of each different flavor. I could have kept making and making and making but we really didn't need 200 doughnuts. Some of each box of cake mix landed down the drain. Sorry, I wasted. I was bad. So I punished myself by forcing myself to eat about six of each flavor doughnut. I was a bad, bad girl. I thought the punishment fit the crime. The wasting of batter results in the eating of doughnuts. Fair is fair.


So, anyway, I continued with chocolate.


Then I took a small break and chillaxed with my chics.


Then I made the white cake doughnuts. After all of the doughnuts were cooled, I put them in an airtight container and hid them for the night.

The following morning, I made all the frostings. Sorry there aren't any pictures of that process, but I didn't have much time before all the peeps got here.


I had a little help with the sprinkles.


I ended up putting some mocha frosting on some white doughnuts. They were delish. I dominated the white cake with caramel frosting and pecan doughnuts. They were spectacular. I was pretty impressed with how cake mix stood up in such a small form. This is just another reason why that mini doughnut pan was a great buy and is pure awesomeness.

We had a lot of other delicious goodies on our brunch table too. One G-Pa made his biscuits and gravy which are the bomb. We had hash brown and scrambled egg cups. I also made a super cheap, way easy peasy version of tiramisu. I will tell you about that a different day.


Oh, this is what we made for the G-Mas. I just took a plain 8x10 canvas, glued a 5x7 picture onto it, slapped on a few hand prints, and used some good old Mod Podge to seal it up. It was the first time I ever used the spray version of Mod Podge and it worked like a charm. It was a little stinky, but was way easier than the wet version.

The rest of the day was spent doing nothing. It was a beautiful day so we hung out outside all day long. I got a little sun burnt and my freckles on my face reappeared after laying dormant all winter.

Later in the afternoon we went for a walk.


That's a trail that runs by our house. It's pretty great. Oh, and that's my dog's rear end you see on the right hand side there.


See those sunglasses girlfriend is holding? Well, those have not left her hand in almost a solid week. She wears them every where. She takes them every where. She naps with them. She cuddles on the couch with them.


But most of all, she looks ridiculously cute with them on.




No comments:

Post a Comment