Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Soap

Have you ever made the mistake of saying, "Hey, what could be the difference between the name brand this or that and the cheaper store brand? Probably nothing...might as well try it." And then you walk away thinking you just stuck it to the man. You leave the store totally stoked that you saved a few bucks. So you stop at McDonald's and spring for a large fry with bar-be-que sauce and a delicious fountain Coke all the while telling yourself that this time will be different...this time you will have ACTUALLY found a winner winner chicken dinner.

This is exactly what happened the first time I decided that the $4.00 store brand dishwasher soap would work the same as the $7.00 name brand dishwasher soap. When you wash at least a load of dishes a day, that crap adds up fast. And let’s face it, anytime I can eat more McDonald's French fries, which I do any and every single time I am by myself in a car and pass a Mickey D's, I totally seize the opportunity to save a buck.

But, what ultimately happens is the dishes have to be rewashed. Which results in the use of more water and more soap. That is when I reach for the remainder of the good soap and curse myself for being sucked into shame. Then I hop into Vinnie the Minivan the following day and go spend the $7.00 I should have spent in the first place. I don't get french fries because now I just spend $12.00 on dishwasher soap and I am sulking.

Needless to say, I was pulled right into the spider's web when I saw a recipe for homemade dishwasher soap. I would not have been and would have zipped right past it if I hadn't been turned onto homemade laundry detergent by my Mom. She bought all the goods for the laundry detergent and we split it in half. My first go at that was vomit sheets (sorry if that is T.M.I. but that is what kids do) and it worked like a charm. I was sold. And I love it. I will share that recipe with you shortly...I need to get the recipe from my Mom. Stay tuned, folks. Stuffs 'bout to get crazy up in here.

So, anyway. I saw the homemade dishwasher soap recipe on Pinterest, obviously. There are oodles and oodles of recipes. I found the recipe I used here:
http://ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/diy-dishwasher-detergent/

I went to Wal-Mart to buy the goods. All in all, I think all four items cost about $12-13. I also bought an air-tight container to store it in. I mixed it and tried it. And guess what?!?! IT WORKED BETTER THAN ANY EXPENSIVE NAME BRAND DISHWASHER SOAP EVER. EVER! That is the best part about it. The second best part about it is it made a lot. I only made enough to fit my container and am storing the rest for the next batch.

This is how we do iiiiit...all hands are in the air...And wave them from here to there...If you’re an o.g. Mack or a wanna-be player.
Sorry. I am really sorry but I had Montell Jordan in my head for days. Weeks maybe and I can't get it out.

Side note: I am a big, BIG fan of store brand/generic label good but you learn your lessons (usually the hard way...and by hard I mean by wasting money) and figure out what works and what doesn't and when to splurge and when to go cheaper. Plastic baggies, paper towel, body wash, and butter are great examples. Go the cheap route. Razors, feminine hygiene products, toilet paper, and ketchup are things I have found to be not so great the cheap route. You live and learn, right?

Back to the dishwasher soap.
Here is how to make it if you are willing to give it a try:

Homemade Dishwasher Soap

1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 cup salt---regular, old table salt
1/2 cup citric acid---or LemiShine (you can find it at Wal-Mart by the JetDry)

Mix everything all together. Store in an air-tight container. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.

Just a few notes:

1. According to the blog I got the recipe from, you could put some rice in cheesecloth tied tight and set it in the container to reduce clumping. I did not because mine seems to be doing fine.

2.  Use plain 'ole simple white vinegar in the rinse aid plug thingy where you usually put JetDry and save yourself a ton of cash and get the same results.

Happy dish washing!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Is the homemade dishwashing detergeant still holding up? What is Arm & Hammer Washing soda?

    ReplyDelete