Monday, January 16, 2012

FireCrackers

Remember Chicken in a Biskit crackers? When I was in middle school, those crackers were the bomb. Those crackers and cinnamon hearts were basically my food groups back then. And peanut M&Ms. Back to Chicken in a Biskit. I grew up and started questioning what they actually were. Like, for real. What are they? Chicken flavored crackers? That is odd. And what is a biskit? A limp bizkit? Too many questions and no answers. So I guess Chicken in a Biskit crackers just fell by the wayside for this chick.

Fast forward to present day. While perusing Pinterest one fine fall day, I came across a pin for, and I quote, "The BEST crackers you will ever eat." Now, who can pass by that?! I obviously clicked on that sucker and found the recipe for FireCrackers. They said they were some spicy yet tasty crunchy nuggets and, being a spice lovin' girl who has a spice lovin' boy, I had to make them.

They are super simple to put together but require a days worth of patience. The crackers need to sit together in a bag and spend some time getting to know the seasonings. But trust me when I say this, they are worth the wait.

And I bet you are wondering what all the talk about Chicken in a Biskit has to do with FireCrackers, huh? Well, they taste like spicy Chicken in a Biskit crackers. If you left out the crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper, you would have a homemade version of Chicken in a Biskit. But don't do it. Put the spice in. It makes them much, much better. Mucho better-o.

I know the suspense is KILLING you so I will not wait any longer.

FireCrackers

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 (1 ounce) envelopes ranch dressing mix
3 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 box saltine crackers or Ritz crackers 

*note* I have used both types of crackers but Ritz have seemed to be our house favorite.

Put all the ingredients in a large freezer-size Ziploc bag. Seal the bag and flip it around and around a few times until all the crackers are coated with the seasoning mixture. Set on the counter. Flip the bag every hour or so for 8 hours. Store in an air-tight container.

I do not have a picture of the FireCrackers, but just imagine them to look like crackers...with seasoning on them.

Also, I snapped a photo of the recipe with my phone so I can not give credit where credit is due because I have no idea where it came from. I sincerely apologize to the creator of such goodness.

And also, one may uncontrollably sing Katy Perry while making and eating these crackers. There's just something about eating FireCrackers and singing, "BABY YOU'RE A FIRRRRREWOOOORK! COME ON LET YOUR COOOOLORS BUUUURST!" Sorry you had to see that. But you have been warned.

2 comments:

  1. All three kids (and I of course) LOVE chicken in the biskit crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baked them in the oven on 300 for 15-20 minutes turning one sitting and it gives them a way better flavour.

    ReplyDelete