Thursday, June 9, 2011

Simple Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Want to know what we have been doing? This:


We've been sliding backwards down the slide into the baby pool. And by "we," I mean Kendall has been doing that.


Over and over and over again. The rest of us have been going in that big pool in the background. It's the best. But it's tricky. I mean, I feel like I should go back and get a science degree. It's some technical stuff. I am figuring it out though. I am guessing by the time it's time to put it away, I will have it mastered.

But anywho. It's been roasty toasty. So that means there is an increase in ice cold beverage consumption. I recently went to a local cheese house/ice cream joint/restaurant in our area that is amazeballs. Back in the day, I used to work there, making shakes, slinging hash, and cutting cheese. Not that way, you sickos. Literally cutting cheese. The stinkiest of cheeses you could imagine were cut. Sorry. I just can't stop.

Back to the beverages. I bought a quart of their ice milk for making shakes at home. It's the best stuff ever. It's just basically frozen milk. It's the perfect base for taking the flavor of the shake instead of starting with vanilla.

We made strawberry shakes with fresh frozen strawberries but I dug that a little more than the girls did. They are suckers for chocolate shakes. Now I ran into a dilemma. All the chocolate syrups and flavorings I could find in my hood were full of some pretty crappy ingredients. So, to solve that problem, I figured it couldn't be too hard to make it at home, myself. I perused the Internets and found a recipe that seemed to fit the bill.

This recipe is courtesy of tastykitchen.com and here is the link:

But because it's how I roll, here's how to make it.


All you need is some unsweetened cocoa powder. I used Hershey's because, well, it's what I had. To that you add sugar and a tid bit of salt. Then you take a picture of it and notice that you have some mad water-overflow stains on your stove top. I don't have the elbow grease to get those off. It's frustrating. But you are going to have to deal with it just like I do. It's OK. We can hold each other's hands and move on.


Back to the syrup. You add some water. And continue to notice the grodyness on your stove.


Whisk it together. Be patient. It doesn't come to easy. You have to earn it and work for it. But trust me, it is way worth it.


Hey. Where'd my audience go? She makes me bring this dollhouse in so she can play while I quick whip this up and she not only abandons me but also her little plastic family. The nerve.

Just a little side note, Kendall washed her dollhouse with wipes every single day. She cleans the bathroom, wipes down the kitchen, and bathes the people. It cracks. Me. Up.


There she is! There must be something exciting happening in the art desk room. Or a truck is driving by and she has to see it. Or a bird landed in the grass. It's cool. She's busy.


So, the syrup. Over medium heat, stir the concoction constantly until it starts to boil. Once it is boiling, continue stirring for 4-5 minutes. You will notice it thickening up and becoming more syrup-y. Remove it from the heat and let it chillax until it cools completely. Stir it every once in a while so it doesn't get a film. When it's cool, add some vanilla. I did not add 3 teaspoons, as the recipe says. I only added 1. I am not a real big fan of too much vanilla so I laid back a bit.


Pour your syrup into a container and store it in the fridge. The original recipe says that it is good for two weeks, refrigerated. Also, one tablespoon will flavor a glass of milk or a shake.


MMMMM. Here's the deliciousness in action. We had to taste test it juuuust to make sure.


A little people sized chocolate shake ready to be devoured. Avery told me this was the best chocolate shake she ever had. And Avery knows her stuff.

For the little time it takes to make, it is way worth it. So chocolaty and creamy. And best of all, no high fructose corn syrup or anything you can't pronounce. Score!

So, make some for your chocolate milk, shakes, or to put over your ice cream sundae.

Simple Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Ingredients

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

Add cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and water to a pot and whisk until combined. Heat over medium, stirring constantly, until boiling. Boil for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely. Add vanilla and stir to combine. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment