Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chocolate Ice Cream Rocks


It rained yesterday. It was cold. And wet, obviously. So we puttered around. I decided to take another gander at the plans for the girl's birthday party and examine what materials I still need. I have been planning their party since, well, probably March. It's not until August. I like to plan. I like to write lists. I like to buy supplies as we find them on sale. I like organization. I sat down with my trusty mechanical pencil and scoped out the situation. Next thing you know, my two little shadows both had notebooks in hand and a writing utensil. Avery went for a pen but Kendall opted for a colored pencil. She knows her limits. Avery started writing the names of all of us. Her writing and spelling skills are at a rock star level of awesomeness. Kendall did some quantum physics and wrote a few haiku's:

I like my Mommy
She gives me milk in a cup
And hugs when I cry

Koda is my dog
His big paws smell like Cheetos
He barks when I sleep

I like to eat nuts
Pistachios are so good
I can't crack them though!

Swinging is the best
I like to go way high up
I pretend to sleep

Alright. I will stop now. I could go on for days and days with the haiku's she wrote. Man, I have one talented kid. At just one and a half she can write some mean poetry.

Back to the day. Avery was suppose to have her very first game of T-Ball yesterday but good 'ole Mother Nature decided that wasn't going to happen. The rain moved in and the game was canceled. What better thing to do on a rainy day than to test out the new ice cream maker?!?!

Chocolate was our mission. Hey, go big or go home, that's what Shrek always says. Or is it, better out than in? Either way, both are sound pieces of advice. Live them, people.


I threw some cocoa powder, sugar, half-and-half, and a touch of vanilla in a bowl and called for some back-up. I mean, I'm not going to do EVERYTHING around here. This was Kendall's first culinary adventure. She is usually just a passive observer but today she took the whisk by the horns and went to town. If you haven't noticed it already, I would like you to direct your attention to her mouth and spot her tongue hanging out. That is some fierce concentration there, folks.


Avery's turn. She has wielded more whisking hours than her sister. She's has good wrist action. Chef Avery at your service.


I know this is blurry but it is the only shot I got of the epic meltdown that happened when the whisk was handed over to the other co-chef. Girlfriend was NOT happy. It's her whisk and she will cry if she wants to.

So the whisking led to a creamy chocolate mixture which led to a soft, icy treat in a mere five minutes. That's right. It only took five minutes to get enough ice cream for two little girls and a sampling for me.


So good! I asked her to smile big. Instead she actually did "So Big." Silly girl.


Mmmmm. Get in my belly!

So far I would say that the ice cream maker is a hit. We are going to try some vanilla today, I think. Next is a strawberry sorbet and mint chocolate chip. Watch out Ben and Jerry's. Avery and Kendall's is going to be a force to be reckoned with.


No T-Ball and full bellies from a yummy supper and delicious treat led to a viewing of The Wizard of Oz. We sang, we danced, we laid on the floor, and we stopped watching after the Scarecrow sang. That's how we roll here: we fast forward to Somewhere Over the Rainbow, then through to the colored part, we watch the Munchkins sing, and then the Scarecrow and we pretty much stop paying attention until they get to the Emerald City. I told you all that because I really know you all wanted to know.


This is just because it was darn funny. Before bed and before she would let me change her and get her jammies on, she decided to dress herself back up. And that's her shirt. Upside down. Leg through an armhole and neck hole. She was as proud as a peacock.

I will leave you with this:

Rain ruined T-Ball
We really like the Scarecrow
Chocolate ice cream rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment