Thursday, July 21, 2011

Heat Dome, Shmeat Dome: How to Survive Summer Cabin Fever

1. Prepare an oasis. Ours was a sleeping bag opened on the living room floor covered with all the couch pillows and butterfly blanket. But before you even get started, get yourself in some comfy clothes. For Avery, this was a too small ballerina tutu/leotard ensemble and Kendall still sported the outfit picked out by her sister.

This type of oasis has it's own risks and benefits. Whilst you get to be all cuddled up in one comfy, cozy place, you will also be subjected to a few possible dangers residing in such close quarters. These include but are not limited to kicking, face-slaps, pinching, climbing, kneeing, nose-picking, flatulence, head-butts, and stinky feet. But the cuddling kind of trumps all the risks so I say, go for it.


2. Pop some popcorn and fill some cups with water. You must have sustenance working this hard.

3.  Turn on a movie. In our case, it was Tangled. And then repeat, repeat, repeat until you are singing all the songs in your sleep and quoting Flynn/Eugene. "You broke my smolder." And this movie has made it officially OK to say, "Mother knows best." Not that I ever would. Just like I would never say, "Because I said so" or "Because I'm the grown-up, that's why" or ever mumble curse words under my breath as I am calmly walking away from a hostile situation. Not me. I would NEVER do any of that. I would never need to because my kids are angels, all the time. Oh, sorry, I was day-dreaming. I'm back.

4. Surround yourself with books and book enhancing materials, i.e. a Leap Frog Tag.

Now this is where we start getting technical.


5. Make monster cookies. I cheat. I make them with a bag of chocolate chip cookie mix, peanut butter cookie mix, and two bags of M&M's candies. Why? Mostly because it's a lot of work to make monster cookies and this is just easier. This is also great to keep on hand, in the cupboard in case we ever get a craving. Fast, easy, cheap is the way to go. To do this, just dump all four bags in a bowl, add whatever each bag of cookie mix tells you to add, stir, bake, and devour. 


6.  Lounge. If you are two years old, feel free to remove your pants or skirt in this instance. And always, ALWAYS make sure your Curious George close by. 


7.  Paint your nails. Miss Avery requested white nails with GIANT polka dots. 


8. Stay fabulous. Even though you are in the house, cut off from the outside world you still must put together fashionable duds. 

9. Ponder life's big questions. Or agonize on why the people at Oxford want to get rid of the Oxford comma. It's a travesty is what it is. I personally like the Oxford comma. I will not bore you with the specifics mostly because it is not that big of a deal but I like it, I use it, and I just demonstrated it in this here sentence. If the suspense is killing you, you can go read the story here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/06/30/137525211/going-going-and-gone-no-the-oxford-comma-is-safe-for-now

10. Do mindless research. I chose to spend my time on this glorious website my friend Kristin posted on her facebook: http://surisburnbook.tumblr.com/.  It's totally a blog in the voice of Suri Cruise, where she makes fun of her fellow celebritots. It is hilarious. And a huge waste of time. Perfect thing for a heat dome day. That, and facebook stalking. But you don't need an "appropriate" time to do that for it is acceptable ALL the time.




1 comment: